Friday, February 10, 2012

The Truth About Weddings

We have about two and a half months to go until our wedding, which means that we've been engaged for almost 16 months.  I wish I could go back and count up all the hours that we've spent planning, talking about the wedding, meeting with vendors, and sending e-mails to arrange all of the little details.  I'm not sure what the total would be, but I can tell you that it has consumed hours and hours of our time. 

Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I'm so excited with how everything is turning out for our wedding, and I can't wait to see it all come together on the day of.  I'm excited to spend time with our family and friends, and excited to enjoy a kickass party and then leave for an amazing vacation a few days later.  Most importantly, I'm excited to marry Brian and become his wife.  But, with all that being said, I can't wait until the wedding is over, because that means no more planning.
I'm not one of those girls who always dreamed of their wedding day.  Brian and I were together for 5 years by the time we got engaged, so I definitely had some ideas, but I didn't already have everything mapped out in my head.  For me, the wedding planning has been fun but time consuming.  I miss our weekends of being able to drive around and do nothing, and I miss having money to spend on our home renovations.  I can't wait to have everything wrapped up so that I don't feel guilty watching tv because I should be doing something for the wedding instead.

I think this is totally normal.  I feel guilty saying it out loud and seeing it in writing, but only because I don't want people to think that I'm not excited about our wedding or appreciative of all the love and help that we've gotten so far from our family and friends.  I recently came across a whole message board on the Knot dedicated to women that miss planning their wedding, and it's chockfull of people that just can't accept the fact that their wedding is over and that they now have nothing to plan or look forward to.  That is so not me.
I guess when it comes down to it, I feel that a wedding is just a day, just a party - and although I'm sure it will be one of the best days of my life, the point is that it's the start of the rest of my life with Brian, and that is what I'm looking forward to the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment